Summer Week 2012
June 24 - June 28
Santa Clara University
GetSET shows high school girls of under-represented ethnic groups the creative, exciting, and essential world of engineering. We encourage them to go to college and to study science and technology. A video about the GetSET program can be viewed here: GetSET video,
GetSET was started in 1992 as an extension of the Higher Education Outreach Program funded by NASA. That program was extremely effective in encouraging girls to stay in math and science classes throughout high school. The Society of Women Engineers, Santa Clara Valley, decided to continue to build on the valuable lessons we learned so that we could reach more girls on an ongoing basis.
We survey our participants one year after they graduate from the GetSET program, and as they are graduating high school. We have found that 100% of them do go on to college. And 25% of those do go on to study technical fields. This is a remarkable success rate given that their demographics have a 10 to 22% high school drop out rate, and only about 20% of all women regardless of ethnicity go into technical fields. See these sites for more information on statistics:
- U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics
- US National Science Foundation,
- The Society of Women Engineers, research page.
- be female
- be in the eighth grade
- be a member of an under-represented group in the engineering profession: African American, Alaskan native, American Indian, Pacific Islander, Filipino, or Latina
- be taking math and science classes
- demonstrate an interest in studying math and science throughout high school and into college
- demonstrate an interest in this program by going through the interview process
- Students participate in the program all 4 years of high school.
- Students attend SummerWeek, which is an engineering camp at which the students do hands-on activities.
- Students attend other activities through out the year, such as leadership camp, sessions on college applications, and other activities.
- Students meet and interact with successful women role model working in technology fields. They get answers to their questions about what engineering is like and how to become an engineer.
GetSET leaders are all volunteers and committed to the mission of showing high school girls the value of engineering.
Alice Callen, GetSET Program Director
Alice has been a volunteer with GetSET for over 15 years. She loves sharing the excitement of engineering with the girls. Alice led a mechanical workshop and recruits volunteers. She helps with the fund raising activities for Get SET and acts as a spokesperson for the program.
Linda Sorauf, Fund Development Chairman
Computer Science Engineer
Linda has been a volunteer with GetSET for over 10 years. She is amazed at the high level of interest that girls show for engineering once they are engaged in engineering hands-on activities. She is dedicated to helping the new leadership with fund raising activities for Get SET.
Jeannie David, GetSET Director of Volunteers
Communications Systems Design Engineer
Jeannie has been working in the IT field for 20 years and volunteering with GetSET for the last 5 years. She believes that GetSET offers girls the opportunity to explore the sciences in a truly supportive environment. Jeannie leads the solder workshop for seniors as well as volunteering with other technical workshops. In addition to leading the solder workshop, Jeannie recruits, coordinates, trains, and schedules all workshop volunteers for the science and technology workshop leaders and helpers. She coordinates volunteers for college field trips and company tours.
Lorie Laird, GetSET Director of Logistics
Lorie has been a volunteer with GetSET for over 10 years. She believes that every girl should have the opportunity to try out engineering. Lorie coordinates and schedules event with the hosting university, including procuring room and board for all attendees and counsellors, reserving locations for special events during summer week, and notification of workshop schedule/requirements.
Arleen Cardenas, GetSET Director of Students
Gaby Gonzalez, GetSET Director of Students
Alison Apel, Treasurer and Secretary
Linda Grevera, Fund Development Chairman
Arleen, Gaby and Richelle are excited to be in charge of the Get SET students. They were once Get SET students themselves, and were Get SET counselors for many years. The provide all communication with the students and their families. They listen to the needs of students and families, and they bring a energy and enthusiasm to Get SET.
Susie Henderson, GetSET Director of Counselors
Susie is an experienced educator of high school girls and a long time Get SET volunteer. She provides the counselors the training and leadership skills so that they can chaperone and counsel high school girls. She puts safety and responsibility first, and ensures that everyone has fun along the way.